Party wall

“It’s my wall, I can do what I like…….?”

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 imposes duties upon those with an interest in a building to notify their neighbour(s) of their intention to carry out any work which may affect a party wall or its foundations. 

To commercial properties, this can often be extensive as it may require serving Notice upon multiple owners and occupies covering adjoining properties and structures.

The Courts can grant an injunction to prevent building work from being carried out where party wall matters have not been adequately dealt with, it is therefore important to ensure party walls are considered early and professionally, in order to mitigate any delays to construction and minimise costs.

Inform Surveying's Party Wall service, can assist you in making that initial assessment as to whether the Party Wall Act applies, and if so, which Notice/s need to be issued. Following this we will act on behalf of the party wall/s as the Building Owner or Adjoining Owners Surveyor if notices and potentially an Award are required.

We are members of the Pyramus & Thisbe Club who promote professional best practice in the field of Party Wall matters with the RICS.

Similar to dilapidations, this is a complex subject matter so please call to discuss individual circumstances and requirements.

Further guidance is available on the RICS website